Our Family 2011

Our Family 2011
Family shot just before Daddy left for Afghanistan

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Reflection


It's been a CrAzY year at our house. Any one that knows me, is well aware that I am usually Full Throttle until I melt down because I bite off more than I can chew ALL the time! With the moving all of our household goods from Georgia to St. George, Scott getting settled in at Ft. Irwin, the frequent trips back and forth from St. George to Ft. Irwin for some Family Time, Freshman football, Karate, Parkour, Scouts, Young Men, Visiting Teaching, working at the treatment center, cleaning houses........ Wait. STOP!!! I forgot to mention that I have a beautiful cousin and her family living down here in St. George too. And over the last 6 years she has been battling Cancer. WAY more important than all of my trivial stuff. As my husband says "Take a knee, face out, and drink some water". A popular Army phrase. I like to put it into something like "turn your face towards the Sunlight"! I am really good at overwhelming myself with "lots to do". It is my middle name actually. But having the opportunity to spend alot of time with Nancy, and watch her have so much courage, and failure was never an option! She NEVER Complained, I never heard her say "why me", nothing negative EVER! She was always doing things to improve her health, and do better to beat this thing.
She was blessed with an amazing musical talent that she has shared far and wide, with anyone and everyone. She could play at least 8 different instruments that I can think of. She wrote music, and shared her talents wherever she went. Amazing seamstress (Tuacahn will vouch for her any day), beautiful wife (ask Wes, he'll tell you), and an amazing Mom (Alexa, and Eliza would agree). 12 brothers and sisters that were all wanting to help in any way they could even though they all live in Idaho.
Well, last Friday night she her courage fight ended. She was only 46 years old, and has 2 young daughters, and an amazing husband left behind. I packed up a bag and headed for Rigby, Idaho for her funeral. The service was beautiful, and as I sat there listening to ALL that Nancy had accomplished in her life, and reflecting on my own life, I realized that ALL of her music was inspired by real life events, struggles, accomplishments, etc. It was all driven by her love for the Lord.
I have much to learn in my life still, and I will always be grateful for getting to spend some time with Nancy in her last days hear on this Earth. I know she has gone onto the next life, and is sharing her incredible talents there with others. She and her Family have reminded me of a very valuable lesson.... Never take life for granted, live each day as if it were your last, and the list goes on.....
As I drove back to St. George, I realized that I have much to be grateful for. My health for starters. Amazing, supportive husband, 3 incredible children, the best son in law EVER, my first grand baby soon, Parents that don't always like my decisions, still love and support me anyways, I could go on and on. I guess I'm realizing that this life is short, and I shouldn't let it pass me by! I need to step up my game and live every single day with a purpose.
I have always looked up to my cousin Nancy, and now I will honor her name in all that I do. I will pay it forward and make her proud.
She wrote a song once called "Little white balloons". There are a few stories behind the writing and the meaning of this song, but when Wes (her husband) read the chorus at the graveside, and then everyone let their white balloon float away, I was speechless. It was a beautiful moment in my life.
I love you Nancy girl~ Thank you for being such an inspiration to me, and for letting me spend the last days of your earthly life with you. It was an Honor!!

Nancy Hammon Hamblin June 16, 1964 ~ September 3, 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment